But as you may have already experienced, sticking with Keto and getting optimal results can sometimes be easier said than done...
The good news? With a few genius tweaks, your Keto journey is about to get a whole lot easier.
In this article, we take a look at 30 relatively unknown Keto diet "hacks" to maximize your odds of getting transformative results and to help you truly get the most out of what you eat.
We'll explore simple tools and tricks to help you get started with Keto, save time and money, eat as healthily as possible, and generally make your diet more enjoyable and sustainable in the long run.
Each hack was specifically chosen to provide maximum impact with minimal investment of time or money.
Let's take a look.
Basic Keto Hacks to Get You Started
1. Purge your pantry of non-Keto foods...
Time to go all Marie Kondo on your cupboards...
Having a healthy environment is key for creating any lasting change.[*] A great first step is to get rid of anything that doesn't fit in with your low-carb lifestyle. That means clearing out sugary snacks and sweets (along with grains, beans, and flour if the whole family is going Keto).
Remove temptations and you’ll make things much easier for yourself in the long-run.
2. ...Then fill your pantry with Keto staples
Having a clear-out is a great opportunity to start fresh and stock up on Keto staples so they’re always on hand. It's also a good way to save time and money if you buy in bulk.
Commonly used, healthy Keto ingredients include:
- Veggies - frozen or fresh kale, spinach, broccoli, asparagus, zucchini, and cauliflower.
- Protein sources - grass-fed meats, poultry, eggs, fish, tofu (if veggie or vegan), and dairy (if tolerated).
- Healthy fats - coconut oil & milk, olive oil, avocado, nuts, and seeds.
- Flavors + sweeteners - herbs, spices, and natural low-carb sweeteners like stevia.
3. Stay organized and on track with a simple Keto meal plan
It’s usually much easier to succeed with a new habit if you have a solid plan of attack in place, and a way to track your progress. The Carb Manager app is designed to help you with exactly that.
You can easily generate a personalized meal plan and shopping list based on your preferences, or choose from the curated meal plans for all diet types.
4. Get friendly with these Keto flour substitutes for bread (and desserts)
Contrary to popular belief, going Keto doesn't mean you have to give up delicious bread and baked goods forever.
If you haven’t met them already, coconut and almond flour are about to become two of your new best friends.
Here are some delicious recipes where they play a starring role:
- Low Carb No Dairy Flat Bread Pizza Crust
- Keto Artisan Sourdough Loaf
- Keto Loaf Bread
- Keto Bread Rolls
- Keto Tortillas
5. Replace high-carb staples with tasty Keto alternatives
No carbs, no problem! Here are some easy swaps for your starchy favorites:
- Pasta: Zucchini Noodles (try Creamy Shrimp Zucchini Noodle Pasta!)
- Noodles: Kelp or Shirataki Noodles
- Rice: Cauliflower Rice
- Bread: Keto Loaf Bread
- Bread Crumbs: Crushed Almonds
- Sugar: Stevia
6. Stock up on your favorite Keto-friendly condiments and sides for a splash of flavor
To make sure your Ketogenic diet doesn't feel too restrictive, quickly add a splash of flavor to your meals with these Keto-friendly condiments, dressings and side dishes:
- Keto Pico De Gallo
- Low Carb BBQ Sauce
- Keto Avocado Hummus
- Keto Avo Lime Mayo Dressing
- Low Carb Cheesy Fries
- Low Carb Tomato Ketchup
7. Steer clear of non-Keto aisles in the supermarket to remove temptations
If you find yourself getting lured in by the brightly colored packaging of processed foods in the dessert aisles, try sticking to the perimeters where most of the fresh produce can be found.
Better yet, opt for local markets when possible. Failing that, you can look online to bulk buy produce or try out home delivery boxes.
8. Make a Pinterest board of delicious Keto recipes to keep you inspired
After experimenting with different recipes, take note of your favorites so you always have a library to come back to. Having a solid list of delicious dishes will make the diet feel much less constraining, and more sustainable long term.
Pinterest can work if you're a visual person, and the premium version of Carb Manager allows you to import your favorite recipes from a URL with a few clicks.
9. Create habits so that you don’t have to rely on will power
Willpower is a finite resource, so we want to preserve it as much as we can. To do this, it helps to set up systems and habits so your new behavior becomes automatic - like brushing your teeth.
Through the Carb Manager app, you can stay on top of healthy habits like meal prep, logging foods, and tracking body metrics.
Keto Food Prep Hacks to Save Time & Money
10. Befriend these mighty one-pot dishes
One-pot (or one-pan) dishes are perfect for bulk cooking delicious Keto feasts.
If you have a slow cooker, you may even be able to leave it on overnight or while you’re out at work, saving a bunch of time.
Here are some great recipes to get you started:
- Easy Crockpot Chicken by Maria Emmerich
- Low Carb Beef Stroganoff
- Keto Shepherd's Pie
- Low Carb Golden Steak Curry
- Keto Chicken and Cauliflower Cheese Bake
11. Invest in decent Tupperware to supercharge your meal prep
Tupperware will help take your Keto prep to the next level. Opt for various sizes to store main meals and snacks.
- Plastic - cheap, travel-friendly, not great for the environment.
- Glass - more expensive, not as travel-friendly.
- Bamboo - reasonably priced, travel-friendly, generally environmentally friendly.
12. Double up on most recipes for Keto leftovers
As a general rule of thumb, always make at least double the recipe if possible.
You then have plenty of leftovers to freeze or refrigerate in your new Tupperware!
13. Prep your Keto breakfast the night before
Save time in the morning and get a head-start on the day by prepping breakfast the night before.
Check out these overnight bowl recipes for inspiration:
- Keto Vanilla Chia Pudding
- Keto Blueberry Muffin
- Low Carb Overnight Chia Almond Pudding
- Breakfast Vanilla Dream Mug Cake
14. Freeze perishables to prolong their shelf life
Cut down on waste and save money by freezing perishable foods:
- Frozen avocado chunks make a great base for smoothies.
- Dark berries can be added to smoothies or as flavored ice cubes in drinks.
- Bulk buy meats (ground beef, wings, and rotisserie chicken), and freeze for easy access to protein.
15. Don’t forget about snack prep too
Having your main meals ready to go is great, but don’t forget about fuel for outside conventional mealtimes.
Some great staples to fall back on:
Hacks For a Healthier Keto Diet
16. Support healthy eating habits with Keto printables
Printables are a great visual guide to help you stay on track. Print them off and stick them on the fridge for a constant reminder.
Foods to eat, foods to avoid - stick on fridge.
17. Keep track of macros and calories to meet your individual needs
Not everyone needs to track calories to be successful with a low-carb diet, but for many it can make things easier (particularly if you're new to Keto).
Keeping an eye on your caloric intake can help to recalibrate your appetite and ensure you're not eating too much or too little for your needs.
To make things easier, the Carb Manager app can provide a personalized Keto plan and calculate macros and a calorie goal for you.
18. Keep your digestion tip-top with these simple fiber hacks
Fiber is important for maintaining a healthy gut [*] - something that may be missing on your Keto diet if you fall into the trap of just eating bacon and eggs all day...
Great sources include:
- Green veggies
- Psyllium husks
- Dark berries (small servings)
19. Support healthy weight loss with these simple workouts
While you can lose body fat on Keto alone, adding exercise into the mix can potentially supercharge your results, and is an important contributor to all-round health.
Here are some handy workout routines and resources to get you started:
- How to Work Out on a Keto Diet
- 20 Minute Workouts
- Zone 2 Training: How to Build Your Aerobic Base
- Exercising on Keto
There’s also a great in-built exercise section in the Carb Manager app to provide inspiration and help you keep track of your progress.
20. Burn extra calories with these simple everyday movement hacks
Exercise is an important part of the equation, but you can also increase fat burning and support your wellbeing by simply upping your daily movement quota.
A few easy ways to do this include:
- Walking to work (or parking further from the office)
- Taking the stairs whenever possible
- Opting for a standing desk
- Taking regular movement breaks
- Suggesting walking meetings
Fitness devices like Fitbits or Garmins can come in handy to track your daily activity levels, and they integrate seamlessly into the Carb Manager app.
21. Have your cake and eat it with these Keto desserts
Good news - you can still enjoy delicious desserts on Keto! Here are a few simple recipes to satisfy your sweet tooth:
- Keto Lemon Cheesecake
- Chocolate Keto Mug Cake
- No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Scotcheroos
- Keto Cheesecake Swirl Brownies
- Keto No-Churn Strawberry Mascarpone Ice Cream
22. Stay hydrated with a water-tracking bottle
Dehydration is something to watch out for on Keto. As your glycogen stores deplete, you can lose a significant amount of water and electrolytes.
It may be worth investing in a water bottle that tracks your daily water intake, and sprinkling in some electrolytes throughout the day. There’s also a built-in water tracking feature in the Carb Manager app.
23. Save time and lose weight by combining Keto with intermittent fasting (IF)
Shortening your eating window through fasting can mean less time required to prep and cook meals. There’s also evidence to suggest IF may be an effective weight-loss strategy.[*]
Learn more: Intermittent Fasting and Keto
Hacks for Sticking to Keto Longer Term
24. Get help from a friend to stay on track
Accountability is a key factor when you're looking to make sustainable changes,[*] so if you can attempt Keto with a friend or loved one, go for it!
You’ll find an active and supportive low-carb community in the Carb Manager app, plus weekly challenges, the ability to connect with friends & family, and other social resources to keep you motivated.
25. Scope out Keto-friendly drinks & meals at your fave restaurants.
Eating out while on Keto isn't always an easy feat, but with a little research, you’ll likely find something suitable at most of your favorite eateries. Great options that you’ll find just about anywhere include:
- Meat with roast vegetables
- Fish and salad
- Burger with lettuce wraps
- Egg dishes (omelet or scrambled egg) with salad
- Extra butter or olive oil
26. Share the Keto love by hosting a potluck
Swap a night out with the girls with a Keto-friendly night in. It's a great way to save money, try new recipes and share your Keto journey with friends.
27. Surround yourself with delicious Keto-approved snacks
Ever found yourself with no healthy high-fat foods on hand, and had to resort to a salty bag of potato chips instead?
Never get caught out again by stocking up on your favorite Keto-friendly snacks and strategically leaving them in places that you frequently visit: your bag, office drawer, in the car etc.
Some handy options include:
- Quest Protein Bars
- Stevia-Sweetened Chocolate
- Nut Butter Bars or Sachets
- Nut and Seed Snack Mix
... and so on.
28. Have a list of quick, go-to Keto meals you can turn to in a crisis
Sometimes life happens and you need a nutritious meal that doesn't take an age to prep. Here are some great ones to turn to in a Keto emergency:
- Keto Prosciutto Scrambled Eggs
- Low Carb Coconut Porridge
- Keto Greek Egg Scramble
- B.A.T. Omelette
- Low Carb Canned Salmon Plate
29. Know when and how to utilize “Lazy or Dirty” Keto in an intelligent and targeted way
Again, sometimes life gets hectic and you don't have access to the best quality food. This often occurs when traveling, or if you have an unexpectedly busy day.
Know that it’s okay not to eat 100% ‘cleanly’ 365 days of the year.
If bacon and eggs with no green stuff is the only option, it's not the end of the world. Stuck in an airport with nothing available but fast food? Making a meal of a fast-food burger (without the bun or any sugary condiments) is better than falling out of ketosis. Try not to beat yourself up for utilizing a more laid back approach to Keto from time to time.
30. Decrease your appetite with these bonus hacks
We already know that adopting a Keto diet can already be a great way to decrease appetite.[*] But if you still find that hunger cravings are an issue, consider adding these extras:
- Intermittent fasting [*]
- Increasing protein intake [*]
- Eating more fiber [*]
- Practicing slow, mindful eating [*]
- Drinking coffee [*]
- Supplementing with MCT oil [*]
Creating lasting change requires some investment in time and effort, but it doesn't have to be crazy complicated or difficult.
In fact, a few simple tweaks can go a long way towards making your Keto journey much easier and more enjoyable.
Experiment with some of the hacks mentioned above and let us know how you get on in the comments section below. And if you have some genius hacks of your own that you think we should add to the list, fire away!