Planning your meals on Keto can feel overwhelming, and breakfast is no exception. Modern life is busy. Not everybody has the time to wake up and prepare a recipe from scratch.
Another problem is that we typically think of breakfast as starchy foods like doughnuts, waffles, and cereal. If you're following a Keto diet, that’s the last thing you want on your plate. Aside from that, many Keto-friendly breakfast recipes consist of bacon and eggs, and even the most dedicated low-carb dieters can tire of this.
From the best Keto breakfast ideas to managing your macros, here are some important things you need to know about your low-carb morning meal:
Why is Breakfast Important?
Breakfast breaks our overnight fast and kick-starts the metabolism in a big way. It replenishes our fuel supply to boost energy levels and alertness while also providing other essential nutrients required for good health.
In some instances, such as intermittent fasting, skipping breakfast may provide some positive health benefits.[*] But fasting is not for everyone. If your body responds best to a morning meal, keep reading for some low-carb breakfast inspo.
BEST KETO BREAKFAST FOODS
The ketogenic diet requires your net carb intake to be less than 50 grams per day, depending on individual health goals. Keeping that in mind, here are some low-carb alternatives for breakfast.
Low Carb Vegetables: Vegetables such as asparagus, avocado, broccoli, green beans, kale, lettuce, cauliflower, etc., are Keto-friendly options. Perfect paired with healthy fats to create a delicious breakfast hash.
Nuts and Seeds: Almonds, pecans, walnuts, macadamia nuts, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds are great Keto breakfast additions, rich in healthy fats and low in carbs. These Keto-friendly nuts and seeds also make excellent low-carb granola.
Healthy Fats: Olive oil, coconut oil and avocado oil are perfect for adding all important fats to your Keto breakfasts. Use for cooking and dressings.
Low Carb Fruits: Keto-friendly fruits such as strawberries, raspberries and blackberries are excellent additions to a low-carb breakfast. Perfect for smoothies and topping your Keto porridge.
Low Carb Flours: Almond and Coconut flour can be incredible Keto breakfast staples. Perfect for low-carb oatmeal, waffles, muffins and pancakes.
Keto-Friendly Milk: Dairy milk alternatives like unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk are low in carbs and are perfect for drenching Keto granola and breakfast cereals.
Adding Healthy Fats
Being on Keto, you have to be mindful of your macros. Being low carb isn’t enough; including healthy fats in your meals is a must.
Avocados, olive oil, cheese, nuts, and seeds like flax and chia have healthy fats and are perfect for adding to your morning meal. If you can’t do without your morning caffeine kick, bulletproof coffee is a great option.
Top Ten Keto Breakfast Ideas That Aren’t Bacon and Eggs!
Having eggs and bacon every day sounds boring. But what other choices do you have being a Keto dieter? There are many!
Here are ten breakfast ideas other than bacon and eggs that add healthy fats to your diet and are super easy to make:
- Keto Nut-Based Granola: Most store-bought granola is not Keto-friendly. Although there are some low-carb brands on the market, it is super easy to make your own Keto granola at home.
- Keto Cereal: There are a bunch of Keto-friendly cereals on the market that taste just as good as the real thing. You can try them with unsweetened Keto milk for a quick breakfast. Alternatively, whip up a batch of your own low-carb cereal.
- Pancakes: Pancakes do not have to be off the table on Keto. Use your preferred low-carb flour to whip up a batch of sweet or savory breakfast pancakes. Why not try this delicious almond flour option and top with some low carb berries to serve.
- Smoothies: Keto-friendly smoothies with coconut milk, heavy cream, or almond milk are as tasty as they sound. Our Keto Raspberry and Coconut Smoothie is a great easy-to-make breakfast option.
- Bulletproof coffee: If you love your morning brew, this coffee blended with butter and oil will help you feel satiated and focused on starting your day.
- Chia pudding: Chia seed pudding makes an ideal Keto breakfast meal and can be prepared in advance, saving you time in the morning.
- Keto Porridge: Our low-carb hot coconut breakfast porridge is an amazing choice for a warming morning option and helps keep you full until lunch.
- Shakes: With so many Keto-friendly milk options available, why not make yourself a plant-based shake to kick-start your day.
- Meat: Meat and poultry are go-to food options on a ketogenic diet. You can have sausage bites or salads with meat like bacon added for a hearty breakfast.
- Salads: Why not make yourself a breakfast salad bowl using low-carb leafy greens and Keto-friendly dressing? Perfect topped with proteins such as cheese, smoked salmon or eggs for satiety.
With a little creativity, repetitive Keto breakfasts can easily become a thing of the past. All your regular breakfast favorites are still very much on the table and just require a few clever low-carb ingredient subs.
Our easy-to-make, Keto-approved breakfast ideas will not only satiate your hunger but also help you manage your macros. Just stick to these guidelines, keep your macros in check, and you’re good to go!