How To Get Enough of the Right Fats On Keto (And Avoid the Bad Ones)
What to Eat

How To Get Enough of the Right Fats On Keto (And Avoid the Bad Ones)

How To Get Enough of the Right Fats On Keto (And Avoid the Bad Ones)

Posted a year ago

Brian Stanton

Brian Stanton

Tony O’Neill, PT, DPT, MSc, RDN

Tony O’Neill, PT, DPT, MSc, RDN

Scientific Reviewer

Expert Approved

Eating Keto means eating most of your calories from fat.

This scares some people. Isn’t fat bad for you? Doesn’t it clog your arteries?

That’s what we’ve been conditioned to believe. Saturated fat, in particular, has been demonized for decades on the back of 1950s population research. [*]

This research has largely been debunked, but the anti-fat sentiment persists. Even today, otherwise reputable organizations like the American Heart Association (AHA) continue to get the fat story wrong. [*

This can all be rather confusing. You know Keto is high-fat, but what types of fat should you eat to promote good health? And how can you ensure you’re getting enough fat to hit your Keto macros?

Keep reading. This article has you covered.

Why Keto Is High-Fat

When you eat a Keto diet, you consume about 60-70% of your calories from fat, 25-30% from protein, and 5-10% from carbohydrates.[*]

Fat is mostly a placeholder on Keto—a macronutrient that provides energy in the absence of carbs. Some explanation will help.

The key to ketosis (aka, burning fat on Keto) is carb restriction. By keeping carbs low, you keep blood sugar and insulin levels low. This sends a memo to your liver, which soon gets busy burning fat and making ketones.

So carbs are out. That leaves protein and fat.

Protein is super important for muscle and brain health, but its benefits are confined to a fairly tight window. If you ate all your calories from protein, you wouldn’t necessarily gain more muscle, and you’d probably overburden your kidneys.[*]

An excess of protein also spikes insulin levels, which would spell an end to fat-burning ketosis. [*]

And so the bulk of your Keto calories must come from fat. Dietary fat has a minuscule impact on insulin levels, helping you stay in fat-burning mode.

On Keto, fat is your fuel.

Different Types of Fat: Which Are Healthy?

When you eat fat, you’re eating molecules called triglycerides. When digested, these molecules split into compounds called fatty acids to be burned for energy or stored for later.

Fatty acids come in four varieties: saturated fat, monounsaturated fat, polyunsaturated fat, and trans fat. Let’s talk more about these four, and see which belong on your healthy Keto diet.

#1: Saturated Fat

“Saturated” with hydrogen bonds, saturated fat is found in meat, lard, egg yolks, coconut oil, butter, and palm oil.

Saturated fat has a bad rep. It started back in the 1950s when a doctor named Ancel Keys published data linking lower sat fat consumption to lower rates of heart disease. [*] His shining example of a healthy, low-fat population? Italy.

But as the saying goes, correlation doesn’t prove causation. Could it be that Italians were healthy for some other reason? Sunlight and laughter maybe?

Fast forward to today and the data doesn’t look good for Keys’ theory. For example, two massive meta-analyses—after analyzing nearly 1 million people—found zero links between saturated fat consumption and heart disease. No link! [*], [*]

The truth is, there’s a lot to like about saturated fat. Unlike polyunsaturated fat, saturated fat is a stable fat—ideal for high-heat cooking.

Also, some of the healthiest foods on the planet are high in saturated fat. Egg yolks, for instance, are excellent sources of essential nutrients like choline, iron, and vitamin A.

Verdict? Saturated fat is definitely Keto-approved.

#2: Monounsaturated Fat

Found in olives and avocados, monounsaturated fat isn’t controversial. When you look at the literature, higher intakes are linked to lower blood pressure, healthier blood sugar levels, and a variety of other health improvements. [*]

Verdict? Don’t skimp on monounsaturated fat.

#3: Polyunsaturated Fat (PUFA)

Polyunsaturated fat (PUFA) is controversial. A little background will help.

There are 2 categories of PUFAs; Omega-6s and Omega-3s.

Back in the 1970s, the food industry started promoting high-PUFA vegetable oils as healthy based on research suggesting that replacing saturated fat with PUFAs lowered bad cholesterol. Saturated fat bad, polyunsaturated fat good. That was the message.

The celebrated high-PUFA vegetable oils included soybean oil, sunflower oil, safflower oil, cottonseed oil, and peanut oil—all of which are omega-6 oils, and they became staples of the American diet. Even today, the AHA maintains that veggie oils are heart-healthy.[*

However, there are some concerns to be aware of. If you consume too much Omega-6 PUFAs, it can promote inflammatory conditions, which can lead to obesity,[*] heart disease, diabetes, and others.[*]

On the other hand, Omega-3 oils (flax seeds, fish) help resolve inflammation, and can be beneficial for autoimmune diseases, promoting weight loss, and disease prevention.[*

Bottom line: you do need both, but in the right balance!

The average American diet creates an Omega-6 to Omega-3 ratio of ~20:1.[*] Ideally, you want to get that ratio down to 4:1 or less.[*]

Another noteworthy concern is that vegetable oils are prone to oxidation, especially when exposed to high heat - and many of the Omega-6 vegetable oils consumed in a standard American diet are from deep-fried foods, making them especially unhealthy. Consuming these oxidized oils increases inflammation and all the conditions related to inflammation noted above.[*]

If cooking with these oils yourself, make sure you are only doing so at low to moderate heat. Each oil has a “smoke point” at which the oil becomes oxidized, or rancid.

It’s a good idea to be aware of the smoke point of any oil you are using and cook within the appropriate temperature range, but particularly with PUFA veggie oils. It’s also helpful to be aware of what rancid oil smells like, as these PUFA oils are particularly prone to spoiling or going “rancid” with age.

If you are not familiar with this smell, cook a veggie oil or olive oil at high heat and notice how the smell changes. If you’ve ever eaten a nut or seed that tasted “off,” that’s a good example of what rancid oils smell like. Yuck.

Overall, we recommend you avoid using Omega-6 veggie oils. The best way to meet that 4:1 or less ratio is to use more Omega-3 oils (flax, chia, hemp) and MUFAs (olive oil, avocado oil), while eating more fatty fish, walnuts, chia seeds, hemp seeds, and flax seeds.[*]

Verdict? Limit omega-6 oils and eat fatty fish for omega-3s.

#4: Trans Fat

Trans fats are vegetable oils that have been engineered, via hydrogenation, to be more shelf-stable. Longer shelf life, higher profits for manufacturers.

You probably know that trans fats are bad for you. They’ve been linked to pretty much every disease in the book, from heart disease to Alzheimer’s to cancer. [*]

Trans fats are so bad that the World Health Organization has recommended they be removed from the global food supply. [*] In America, the FDA has banned trans fats as of 2018, but extensions have allowed them to linger in processed foods until 2021.

Avoid trans fats by reading food labels closely. Anything with “hydrogenated” or “partially hydrogenated” in the name is a trans fat.

Verdict? Steer clear of trans fats!

How To Eat Enough Healthy Fat On Keto

Eating 60-70% of your calories from fat can seem daunting, especially if you’re new to low-carb living. Should I be chugging olive oil straight from the bottle?

Hey, if that works for you, go for it. But here are some easier ways to ensure you’re getting enough fat to hit your Keto macros:

• Eat eggs. Eggs are the perfect Keto food—about 65% fat, 35% protein, 0% carbs, and highly nutrient-dense.
  • Favor fatty cuts of meat. Ribeye, chuck roast, and lamb leg are solid Keto-friendly cuts. Don’t slice off the fat!
  • Veggies as a fat vehicle. Cook low-carb veggies in coconut oil or butter—and use generous portions of olive oil as a salad dressing. As a bonus, you’ll absorb more vitamins (like A, D, K, and E) with fat around.
  • Take MCT oil. MCT oil is a coconut-derived fat that heads straight to your liver for ketone production. Start slow with this one (1 teaspoon at a time), as larger amounts can have a laxative effect.
  • Make fat bombs. Mmm…fat bombs. Hard to believe they’re even Keto. Whip up these Keto Coconut-choc Fat Bombs and Keto Buckeye Fat Bombs, straight from the Carb Manager kitchen.

One Last Tip

One last tip. And it’s the most important.

It’s the only way to truly know if you’re getting enough fat on Keto.

The tip? Use a macro tracker! Just log your meals, let the AI look up the nutrition info, and out pops your daily fat intake.

Happy tracking!

• BlithesomeRadish575617

BlithesomeRadish575617 7 days ago

I never get up to what's needed on my protein, fat or calories. I am always full. But I never go over on my carbs. The others are severely low compared to what CM has recommended. I am gong to try to add MCT powder to my scrambled eggs and see if that helps at all on the fat side.

• AwesomeKale571281

AwesomeKale571281 3 months ago

Thank you for helping me to understand why the fat ratio is larger than the others. josmailbx@yahoo.com not kale??

• AwesomeKale571281

AwesomeKale571281 3 months ago

Why are you putting my comment under awesomeKale.s???

• Goingforgoal100

Goingforgoal100 3 months ago

I have been doing this for 4 weeks but have got a docs appt in 2 weeks as even though I am losing weight, I am worried as to how the high fat element of it will effect my cholestrol.

• StupendousArugula553467

StupendousArugula553467 a month ago

EPA?

• ErinG

ErinG 2 months ago

I happened to double my cholesterol levels after doing a Keto diet for a year. I went from a total score of 150 with my Highs being high and my Low being low to 257 with my lows (LDL) being elevated. I w=started taking a high dose of EPA (no DHA) and got tested again after 3 months (and3 months of being on Keto maintenance) and went back down to my low total of 150 again. Taking the EPA was a suggestion from a medical professional.

• NicuKat

NicuKat 3 months ago

I too have had difficulty getting in enough fat. Thank you for the awesome article. This will really help me!

• ZizziZoe

ZizziZoe 3 months ago

Good article! I never have any trouble hitting my fats! My problem is getting enough protein.

• El devil

El devil 3 months ago

Can you go over your fat on your macros?

• Grahml

Grahml 4 months ago

If deli meats are okay, why not sausage? Sausage is awesome high fat.

• stephanie

stephanie 5 months ago

I’m having trouble getting enough fat without going over carbs. What can I do?

• ErikGreyBeard

ErikGreyBeard 5 months ago

I had the same problem. Solved it by adding some extra butter, olive oil, MCT oil, and/or coconut oil to my daily meals. They are healthy pure fats without adding carbs.

• KindaMe

KindaMe 5 months ago

This article was so helpful to me for understanding good fats vs not-so-good fats. I also devised a way for myself to REMEMBER the general rules: Saturated and Monounsaturated: S&M is good. (Wink, wink. Excuse my sense of humor). Trans Fat: T Fat= Terrible Fat Polyunsaturated fats are the Omegas. Omega 3 vs Omega 6: “Less is more” therefore Omega 3 is better than Omega 6. So, Omega 3 = yes. Omega 6 = not-so much.

• RemarkableKetone324022

RemarkableKetone324022 6 months ago

Oops, continued from below. The manufacturer in Florida. Even with shipping, it was cheaper than anywhere. Tonight I picked up burgers and just switched out the bun. It was amazing. This is only my 4th day but feel so optimistic with these huge helps.

• RemarkableKetone324022

RemarkableKetone324022 6 months ago

Game changer! SmartBUN, and Smartcake. 0 carbs and really delicious. I heard about these and went on a search. After seeing the high prices, I went straight to the mug

• ExcellentMacadamia859448

ExcellentMacadamia859448 6 months ago

What do I eat when I need more fat

• SpectacularRadish732460

SpectacularRadish732460 6 months ago

Is there such thing as too much fat? I hit the carb goals daily, and my protein I try to stay under. I often max my fat goals. Is there any repercussions for that.

• ExcellentKetone986567

ExcellentKetone986567 6 months ago

Really helpful - I'm struggling to eat enough fat and I have not yet managed to hit my fat, protein and calorie recommendations on Carb Manager.

• PropitiousArugula331591

PropitiousArugula331591 6 months ago

I had a problem until I started planning the entire day’s food ahead. With the carb tracker you can easily look to see which food you need to substitute or delete to make it work.

• BlithesomeArugula769901

BlithesomeArugula769901 7 months ago

Helpful information

• drkelley89

drkelley89 7 months ago

This article really helped me understand the differences between the different types of fats. Thanks.

• Diniesmilesmore

Diniesmilesmore 7 months ago

I’m concerned in the amount of fat since I take Creon to help break down far and keep it easier in my pancreas in the production of lipase and amylase. Any idea of keto will still work if I have reduced fat as long as I keep my carbs down?

• kathleenkparkerphotography194f

kathleenkparkerphotography194f 7 months ago

I think you’re going to have to ask a nutritionist about this or your doctor who has prescribed Creon.

• lhb316

lhb316 8 months ago

While I never had a problem getting enough fat in (when I tried Keto for a month or so), I always went way over on calories for the day. I think there was only one or two days where I truly hit my target for the day in regard to fat, carb and calorie macros. How do you accomplish this?

• kathleenkparkerphotography194f

kathleenkparkerphotography194f 7 months ago

I don’t hit my targets every day, but I don’t go over them either. Sometimes I have a problem getting enough protein. As long as I’m losing weight and feeling healthy, I’m OK with this. I did have a burning 🔥 female issue because I wasn’t drinking enough water and I was having too many Diet Cokes. Today I just really focused on eating basic foods that weren’t big fancy recipes, etc. My “issue” is gone, I think. I’ll see if it comes back tomorrow. But I’ve learned my lesson about drinking enough water and that it’s not OK to drink three Diet Cokes in a day.

• klconnolly2291a

klconnolly2291a 8 months ago

This is awesome! Thx so helpful 🤗

• Amanda

Amanda 8 months ago

This is by far the best article I have read on different types of fats which have confused the heck out of me I now feel better equipped and definitely better educated to make good choices now

• BlithesomeKetone318162

BlithesomeKetone318162 8 months ago

Multumesc din suflet pentru excelenta informatie

• PropitiousArugula331591

PropitiousArugula331591 8 months ago

Thanks! While I’m doing well with other parts of the diet I’m having trouble getting enough fat. This will be helpful, I think.

• 1LoveFarmer

1LoveFarmer 8 months ago

Best article I've read yet on this! Great explanation of the different fats, cholesterol, and how all works.

• MirthfulMacadamia957438